Applications of Monolithic 3D
Figure 8: Projections for portable devices .
Portable devices such as smart-phones and tablet computers are expected to drive adoption of monolithic 3D-ICs. Power and space savings with monolithic 3D-ICs can improve battery life and form factor. Furthermore, heat removal is manageable for these chips despite higher power densities caused by stacking because power consumption for these applications tends to be below 1W. With portable devices projected to be the growth and volume drivers for the semiconductor industry for the next decade (Fig. 8), it is reasonable for monolithic 3D-ICs to gain momentum in the years to come.
Monolithic 3D has applications for many different portions of the semiconductor industry. The following links provide a summary:
- Monolithic 3D FPGA
- Monolithic 3D Gate Array
- Monolithic 3D Redundancy and Repair
- Monolithic 3D Logic Technology - with RCATs
- Monolithic 3D Logic Technology - with Replacement Gate Technology
- Monolithic 3D DRAM
- Monolithic 3D NAND Flash Memory
- Monolithic 3D Resistive Memory
- Monolithic 3D Image Sensor
- Monolithic 3D Microdisplay